Professor of Physics
University of Redlands
1200 East Colton Avenue
P.O. Box 3080
Redlands, CA 92373-0999
phone work: (909) 793-2121 ext. 8661
2014 Tasting Room Associate, Red Newt Cellars
Summer 2012 Visiting Scientist, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
2007-2015 Associate Professor of Physics: University of Redlands
2001-2007 Assistant Professor of Physics: University of Redlands
1999-2003 Postdoctoral Fellow & Independent Contractor: Lowell
ObservatorySupervisor: John Spencer
1995-1999 Graduate Research Assistant: Astronomy Department, Cornell
Steven W. Squyres
1994 - 1997 Graduate Teaching Assistant: Astronomy & Physics Departments, Cornell University
Professional Societies, Honors and Awards:
- American Geophysical Union
- Division of Planetary Science
- Phi Beta Kappa
- 2006 University of Redlands Faculty Award for Outstanding Research
- 1999 Eleanor Norton York Prize in Astronomy, Cornell University
- Z. Cartter Patten Graduate Fellowship in Astronomy and Space Sciences,
Cornell University, Spring 1996, Fall 1998 and Spring 1999
- Outstanding Student Paper Award for the Planetology Section of the 1998
Spring Meeting of the American Geophysical Union
Service & Outreach Activities
- 2016, Science Organizing committee member for Io-Jupiter
- 2016 Member, President's Council on Diversity and Inclusivity,
chair of ad hoc committee on faculty searches/hiring
- 2014-present Member, NASA Outer Planet Assessment Group
- 2010, 2008 DPS meeting Local Organizing committee member and webmaster
- 2009-2012, Physics Department Chair
- 2009 Member, Physics Department Search Committee
- 2007-2009 Member, Dean Search and retention Task Force (chair, 2008-2009)
- 2005, 2003 Member, Review panels for NASA Programs
- 2004-2009 Member, Liberal Arts Foundation Assesment Task Force
- 2004-2005, 2002-2003 Member, Faculty/Student Life Committee
- 2002 Member, Chemistry Department Search Committee
- 2000-2001 Participated in Lowell Observatory's Astronomy
Outreach Program for Navajo and Hopi Schools
- 2000 Helped write StarTales,
published daily by Lowell Observatory
- 1999 Articles written for Lowell Observer Nesletter
- 1997-1998 Articles written for Sciencenter newsletter
- 1997-1999 Organized guided guided tours of the Sciencenter's Sagan Memorial Planet
- 1997-1999 member, Sciencenter
- 1996-1999 Coordinator for Astronomy program for Focus for Teens, a 4H program
for high school students
- 1995-1997 Coordinator for Astronomy activities for Expanding Your Horizons
program for junior high school girls
- Active volcanoes on Io from ground-based observations of Jupiter
and mutual satellite occultations; NASA Planetary Data Analysis,
Restoration, and Tools Program 2016-2019; Julie Rathbun, PI
- Dynamic Processes on the Galilean Satellites; NASA Solar System
Observations Program 2016-2019; John Spencer, PI
- Quantitative measurements of active Ionian volcanoes: Global distribution and temporal variability using Galileo NIMS, PPR, ground-based, and New Horizons data; NASA Outer Planets Research Program 2013-2016; Julie Rathbun, PI
- The Ins and Outs of the Io Plasma Torus: A Comparison of Two Decades of Io Plasma Torus and Io Volcanic Data; NASA Outer Planets Research Program 2013-2016; Jeffrey Morgenthaler, PI
- Io in the Near Infrared: observations from New Horizons and
comparison to Galileo PPR and NIMS; NASA Jupiter Data Analysis Program
2009-2012; Julie Rathbun, PI
- Studying the Galilean satellites with Galileo and ground-based
data: Io's volcanoes from the ground and incorporating Galileo PPR
data into ArcGIS; NASA Outer Planets Research program 2008-2010; Julie
- Geologic Mapping of Io: GIS Database & Regional mapping; NASA
Outer Planets Research program 2008-2011; David Williams, PI
- Io Volcanism, and Galilean Satellite Surface Temperatures; NASA
Planetary Geology and Geophysics Program 2007-2010; John Spencer, PI
- Modeling volcanism on Io using groundbased and Galileo data; NASA Outer Planets Research Program 2006-2009; Julie Rathbun, PI
- Io Volcanism, and Galilean Satellite Surface Temperatures; NASA Planetary Geology and Geophysics Program 2004-2007; John Spencer, PI
- Mutual occultations between the Galilean satellites: Two-dimensional imaging of Ionian volcanoes, particularly Loki which may erupt predictably; NASA Planetary Astronomy Program 2002-2005; Julie Rathbun, PI
- April 2016 - Io-Jupiter Interaction Workshop, Sao Jose de Campos, Brazil
- October 2015 - Joshua Tree National Park Night Sky Festival
- January 2015 - Geology Department Colloquium, Bringham Young University
- December 2014 - American Geophysical Union fall meeting, San Francisco
- December 2014 - Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, Ithaca College
- November 2014 - Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, West Virginia University
- September 2014 - Acadia National Park Night Sky Festival
- February 2014 - Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, University of Wyoming
- January 2010 - President's Hight Table, University of Redlands
- February 2009 - Planetology Seminar, University of California at Los Angeles
- March 2007 - Guest lecture, San Bernardino County Museum
- April 2006 - Women in Science and Mathematics lecture, Buffalo State College
- November 2005 - Geology Department colloquium, State University of New York at Buffalo
- December 2001 - American Geophysical Union fall meeting, San Francisco
- June 2001 - Keynote speaker for 16th Annual Greater Verde Valley Astronomy Festival
- dePater, I., Laver, C., Davies, A. G., deKleer, K., Williams,
D. A., Howell, R. R., Rathbun, J. A., Spencer, J. R., Io: Eruptions
at Pillan, and the time evolution of Pele and Pillan from 1996 to
2015, Icarus, 264, 198-212, 2016.
- Conrad, A., deKleer, K., Leisenring, J., LaCamera, A.,
Arcidiacono, C., Bertero, M., Boccacci, P., Defrere, D., de Pater,
I., Hinz, P., Hoffman, K.-H., Kurster, M., Rathbun, J., Schertl, D.,
Skemer, A., Skrutskie, M., Spencer, J., Veillet, C., Weigelt, G.,
Woodward, C. Spatially Resolved M-band Emission from Io's Loki
Patera-Fizeau Imaging at the 22.8 m LBT, Astronomical Journal, 149,
id. 175, 2015.
- Tsang, C.C.C., Rathbun, J.A., Spencer, J.R., Hesman, B.E.,
Abramov, O. Io's hot spots in the near-infrared detected by LEISA
during the New Horizons flyby, JGRE, 119, 2222-2238, 2014.
- Rathbun, J.A., Spencer, J.R., Lopes, R.M., Howell, R.R. Io's active volcanoes during the New Horizons era: Insights from New Horizons imaging, Icarus, 231, 261-272, 2014.
- Abramov, O., Rathbun, J.A., Schmidt, B.E., Spencer, J.R. Detectability of thermal signatures associated with active formation of 'chaos terrain' on Europa, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 384, 37-41, 2013.
- Rathbun, J.A., Rodriguez, N.J., Spencer, J.R. Galileo PPR observations of Europa: Hotspot detection limits and surface thermal properties, Icarus, 210, 763-769, 2010.
- Rathbun, J.A., Spencer, J.R. Ground-based observations of time-variability in multiple active volcanoes on Io, Icarus, 209, 625-630, 2010.
- Rathbun, J.A., Spencer, J.R. Loki, Io: New groundbased observations and a model describing the change from periodic overturn. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33, L17201, doi:10.1029/2006GL026844, 2006.
- Matson, D.L., Davies, A.G., Veeder, G.J., Rathbun, J.A., Johnson, T.V., Castillo, J.C. Io: Loki Patera as a Magma Sea. J. Geophys. Res. 111, E09002, doi:10.1029/2006JE002703, 2006.
- Porco, C. C., Helfenstein, P., Thomas, P. C., Ingersoll, A. P., Wisdom, J., West, R., Neukum, G., Denk, T., Wagner, R., Roatsch, T., Kieffer, S., Turtle, E., McEwen, A., Johnson, T. V., Rathbun, J., Veverka, J., Wilson, D., Perry, J., Spitale, J., Brahic, A., Burns, J. A., DelGenio, A. D., Dones, L., Murray, C. D., Squyres, S. Cassini Observes the Active South Pole of Enceladus. Science, 311, 1393-1401, 2006.
- Milazzo, M.P., Keszthelyi, L.P., Radebaugh, J., Davies, A.G., Turtle, E.P., Geissler, P., Klaasen, K.P., Rathbun, J.A., and McEwen, A.S. Volcanic Activity at Tvashtar Catena, Io. Icarus, 179, 235-251, 2005.
- Williams, D.A., Keszthelyi, L.P., Schenk, P.M., Milazzo, M.P.,
Lopes, R.M.C., Rathbun, J.A., and Greeley, R. The Zamama-Thor region of Io: Insights from a synthesis of mapping, topography,
and Galileo spacecraft data.
Icarus, 177, 69-88, 2005.
- Rathbun, J.A., Spencer, J.R., Martin, T.Z., Barnard, L., and Travis,
Mapping of Io's Thermal Radiation by the Galileo Photopolarimeter-
Radiometer (PPR) Instrument. Icarus, 169, 127-139, 2004.
- Rathbun, J.A. and Squyres, S.W.
Hydrothermal systems associtated with Martian impact craters. Icarus, 157, 362-372, 2002.
- Rathbun, J.A., Spencer, J. R., Davies, A.G.,
Howell, R. R., and Wilson, L.
Loki, Io: A periodic volcano. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
29(10), 10.1029/2002GL014747, 2002.
- Figueredo, P., Chuang, F.C., Rathbun, J.A.,
Kirk, R.L., and Greeley, R.
Geology and Origin of Europa's "Mitten"
Feature. J. Geophys. Res.,
107(E5), 10.1029/2001JE001591, 2002.
- Howell, R.R., Spencer, J.R., Goguen, J.D., Marchis,
F., Prange, R., Fusco, T., Blaney, D.L., Veeder, G.J., Rathbun,
J.A., Orton, G.S., Grocholski, A.J., Stansberry, J.A., Kanner, G.S.,
and Hege, E.K. Ground-based observations of Volcanism on Io in 1999
and early 2000. J. Geophys.
Res., 106, 33,129-33,140, 2001.
- Spencer, J.R., Rathbun, J.A., Travis, L.D., Tamppari,
L.K., Barnard, L., Martin, T.Z., McEwen, A.S., Io's thermal
emission from the Galileo Photopolarimeter-Radiometer. Science, 288,
The previous paper can be linked to from John Spencer's publications
- Rathbun, J.A., Janes D.M., and Squyres, S.W. Formation of Beta
Regio, Venus: Results from measuring strain. J. Geophys. Res., 104,
- Rathbun, J.A., Musser, G.S. and Squyres, S.W., Ice diapirs
on Europa: Implications for liquid water. (pdf) Geophys. Res. Lett., 25, 4157-4160,